Evacuation of Indian citizens stranded abroad
The current effect of the Coronavirus Pandemic has extremely impacted the entire world. Universities, Schools, colleges, government, and private offices are being suspended.
With the Nation-wide lockdown, many Indian citizens who travelled abroad are being stranded without any hope of returning back soon. However, after a certain evaluation, the Government has come to the conclusion that they will bring back Indians who are stranded abroad.
The Ministry of Home Affairs has provided standard operating protocol to the Indians who are evacuating the foreign countries. The first phase of Evacuation mission will begin on May 7, 2020.
During this time, the Government has advised the stranded citizens to register and book for their flights to come back home. Certain protocol was provided for the citizens' safety to follow while travelling by air.
Following are the protocols provided for the citizen's safety:
- You will have to register yourself with the Indian missions in whichever country you are stranded in.
- You will be brought back by non-scheduled passenger flights and naval ships operated by the civil aviation ministry and department of military affairs. Only those staff and crew will be allowed to operate who are COVID19 negative
- Priority will be given to the cases in distress, migrants, laborers, short term visa holder, medical emergencies, pregnant women, elderly, death of a family member and students.
- Everyone traveling would have to pay the cost of their travel on themselves.
- The ministry of external affairs has made a ship and flight wise database of passengers based on their registrations, including information on RT PCS test taken by the passengers and its result. This database will be shared with the different states and union territories too.
- The external affairs ministry is going to designate state-wise nodal officers who will be coordinating with nodal officers appointed by the states and the UTs.
- The External Affairs ministry will display the date, place, and time of arrival of ship and flights on its digital platform at least before two days’ notice.
- The travelers have to provide a mandatory undertaking that they will stay in an institutional quarantine facility for 14 days when they arrive in India.
- There would be a thermal screening of passengers. The only asymptomatic passenger would be allowed to travel.
- All the health protocols ought to be followed on flights and ships. The thermal screening will be done even after the arrivals as well.
- You will be asked to download the Arogya Setu Application on your cell phone and register for the same.
- Symptomatic passengers after the arrival will be taken to the medical facility. Asymptomatic passenger will be taken to suitable institutional quarantine facilities
- If asymptomatic passengers get tested negative after 14days then they will be allowed to go home but even then they will have to monitor themselves for another 14 days.
These protocols are provided for the stranded citizen who needs to return home from foreign countries during this critical time.